Saturday, September 26, 2020

My Custom Arcade Sticks Collection (Sept 2020)

    Decided to show some of the arcade sticks that I've customized over the last few years. It isn't all of them, since 3 got ruined by humidity over the summer so I can't show those. Although I do still have a plethora of other sticks to showcase. All these sticks were customized by me and I designed/resized the art on all of them. Sorry for the poor lighting, I decided to do this during the night and my lamp isn't too bright. Let's start with a group shot. 


Here's the 11 of them. I'll go over each of them and give a bit of backstory/parts being used.

Leona Heidern PDP Injustice BattleStick 
 

Case - PDP Injustice BattleStick
PCB - Stock PS3
Joystick - Sanwa JLF 
Buttons - Qanba LED Buttons with Sanwa Switches
 
    Sorry for the blurry pic, but I did link my reddit post about and it has a higher quality picture. Leona is one of my favorite KOF characters lore wise (probably next to K'), but actually not my favorite Ikari Warriors character to play as. That would have to go to Clark. I do plan on have a stick based on him. I picked Leona for this stick really due to the stock blue LEDs. I thought it matched her color way pretty well and looking at the finished results I would say it does. Nice thing about the Qanba buttons that came with this stick is they are Sanwa clones and support Sanwa switches. You do have to be careful taking off the LED pcb inside of them, but once you do that, they feel pretty nice. In the future I plan on writing about how awesome and underappreciated the PDP Injustice BattleStick is so I won't talk too much about the stick right now. 

Ai Miyashita PDP Injustice BattleStick
 
Case - PDP Injustice BattleStick
PCB - Stock Xbox 360
Joystick - Sanwa JLF
Buttons - Sanwa OBSF

    Another Injustice BattleStick because I actually like this stick quite a bit. Customized with the character Ai Miyashita from Love Live Nijigasaki. Probably my favorite character out of the bunch. She's super genki and actually kind of a mary sue. I love it. Her gyaru design is nice too, also her voice actor is a pretty great performer in the live shows. This stick isn't actually complete, I do plan on changing a couple things. However I couldn't help, but put this build together. If you actually look closely the plexi is broken. One of the top panel screws was pretty stripped and trying to loosen it, I broke the plexi in the corner. It isn't too noticeable however I will probably get a replacement in the future. So expect an update from this stick. There's also a story about the artwork printing, but I'll explain it when I get to the other stick that I ordered artwork for. 

Kaga (Kantai Collection) Razer Panthera

Case - Razer Panthera
PCB - Stock PS4
Joystick - Crown 303FK
Buttons - Sanwa OBSF

    The only arcade stick that I own that has a Korean lever. Nothing special, it was just a Crown 303FK that I got from one of the Qanba Q4RAFs. Character on here is Kaga from Kantai Collection, I really like her. The original art was only in black and white so I decided to color Kaga and I think I did a decent job. This stick will probably change a little bit in the future. Focus Attack plans on releasing a noir panel for the Razer Panthera. While vewlix is good, noir is just better in my opinion. I know Arcade Shock already offers these panels, but FocusAttack does make it simpler to submit your art. Also I don't think custom art is regularly available on Arcade Shock. I might do some modifications to the Crown 303FK. While I think it's okay, that might only be because it's the only Korean lever I've tried. I also have seen Korean lever experts call it trash, so maybe some modifications will be a good move. 

Kaga & Akagi (Kantai Collection) B15SDM Case
 

Case - B15SDM Custom
PCB - Brook Zero Pi PCB (PS3/PS2/PSX/PC/Switch)
Joystick - Sanwa JLF
Buttons - Sanwa OBSN

    One of my holy grail (with arcade sticks) was to own a B15SDM. For people who just got into arcade stick, B15 is a legend in the custom arcade stick world. Just go look at what he's made with the link provided above or on his website. B15 isn't around anymore (retired), so when I had a chance to purchase this body, I sure as hell did. I do believe I'm either the 3rd or 4th owner of this case. Let me just say that it didn't come with the original art so don't get mad at me for putting something else on it. While the case is great, it isn't perfect. Besides the cosmetic issues, I would like to believe that this was one of the first cases B15 made, since he did some questionable stuff when it came to mounting buttons and the plexi not being flush. Either way I do love this case and it sure is going to be one of my main sticks going forward. I do plan on changing the PCB to the Brook Universal, but for right now I put in a Zero Pi. The artwork choice is art I always liked of Kaga and Akagi from Kantai Collection. Funny story about the art (thing I was talking about with the Ai Miyashita art), when I got my order from FocusAttack they actually sent me the wrong artwork. So instead of the prints I ordered I got two prints for the Razer Panthera EVO. I emailed FocusAttack about it and they were very professional and apologized and they even paid for one day shipping so the next day I got my artwork. They didn't tell me to do anything with the wrong artwork I received so I guess now I have two Razer Panthera EVO artworks that I don't know what to do with (honestly I kind of feel obligated to purchase a Panthera EVO). Artwork might change, while Kaga does fit the blue, Akagi doesn't really fit the green. Maybe I'll commission someone for hand drawn artwork of Kaga or maybe I'll do a Kaga & Zuikaku build. They are the best of buds. Either way that isn't until the distant future so right now it'll be this look and I think it looks pretty great. 

Labrys Eightarc Fusion Synthesis 
 
Featured on Mr. Sujano's Fightsticks of the Month - https://youtu.be/BH17QOJeXqA

Case - Eightarc Fusion Synthesis
PCB - Stock PS3/Xbox 360/PC
Joystick - Sanwa JLF
Buttons - Sanwa OBSC

    Pretty simple build here. Featuring one of my mains in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. For anyone wondering Eightarc is the same thing as Qanba. For some reason when Qanba started to sell their arcade sticks in the United States they went by Eightarc. Not really sure why since later down the line they just went by Qanba. Either way this clear case is my personal favorite right next to the clear blue one. Which I do own, but still need to do some tinkering with. Like I said before, just a simple build featuring everyone's favorite New Jersey girl. 

 
Kanan Matsuura Mad Catz TE 

 
Case - Mad Catz TE
PCB - Brook PS3/PS4 Audio Board
Joystick - Sanwa JLF
Buttons - Sanwa OBSF
 
    Originally I used the Brook board for a Mad Catz V.S., but sadly the artwork got pretty destroyed by the humidity this summer so I had to scrap it. So that's where this TE comes from. Featuring my favorite girl from Aqours (and maybe all of Love Live), Kanan Matsuura. If you've only watched the Aqours anime then please read the phone game stories and manga, pretty much every character is better in those than the anime (mainly talking about Aqours). Especially my girl Kanan. The anime is still decent, but could've been better. A word of advice, if you have the option to use thicker plexi rather than thin go with the thicker plexi. Thin plexi has a real problem with flexing and won't protect the artwork as much as the thicker plexi. Thicker plexi can flex too, but it isn't as common. While thin plexi may look more "clean" you'll have less headaches using a thicker plexi. 
 
Victrix Pro FS
 
Case - Victrix Pro FS
PCB - Stock PS4 Board
Joystick - Sanwa JLF (The Link 2)
Buttons - Seimitsu PS-14 (First 6) / Sanwa OBSJ (Last 2)

    I got this stick at a pretty good deal (~$150) and even with that I'm kind of disappointed with it. While it looks great and the brush aluminum feels awesome, it's pretty limited all things consider. The PCB broke on me. Considering that this stick uses a ribbon cable for the control panel, adding a Brook board won't be the easiest thing in the world. I might contact Victrix about a replacement PCB. Although them sending one, might not happen considering I bought this stick second hand. They did make another version of this too with an actual touch pad so they might not even have the first PCB in their inventory anymore. If that's the case and no one plans on making an easy mod then I might just sell the case and someone else can have fun with it.   

Rinze Morino Qanba Q4RAF

Case - Qanba Q4RAF
PCB - Stock PS3/Xbox 360/PC
Joystick - Sanwa JLF  (Link)
Buttons - Sanwa OBSF 

    This was the stick where I got the Korean lever from. This is the Qanba Q4RAF looks quite similar to the Eightarc Fusion doesn't it. For anyone who wants to know the differences, the Q4RAF comes with the start button cut out on the original plexi. On the Fusion it doesn't have the start button cut out, but it's still there on the metal plate. The other thing is the Q4RAF has a handle while the Fusion doesn't. You probably can't see the handle on this Q4RAF and that's mainly because I took off. Not a fan of it. I guess I should explain what the "Link" is. You probably noticed with this stick and the last one that there isn't the shaft of the stick. That's because those two sticks have a detachable joystick. A very handy product when it comes to storage and traveling. Pretty great product and I recommend picking one up if you're interested. Artwork is of Rinze Morino from the iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors. She's pretty cute so I put her on a stick. 

Yukiko Amagi Mad Catz TES
 
Case - Mad Catz TES
PCB - Stock Xbox 360
Joystick - Sanwa JLF
Buttons - Sanwa OBSF
 
    The other character I main in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is Yukiko. Another TE although this is the TES version with the slim sides. I vinyl wrapped the sides to be red. From a distant it looks okay, but if you look close then you can see that it isn't the best wrapping job in the world. I'll put most of the blame on me since it was my first time wrapping something, but I did use cheap material off eBay and some videos about vinyl wrapping say that sometimes the material can be the issue (the results were probably mostly due to my inexperience). I might order some 3D printed side panels from Buttercade or I might stick with the black sides since I did like that look too. 
 
Rabbit Hero Mirko Mad Catz TE
 
Case - Mad Catz TE
PCB - Akishop PS360+ (PS3/Xbox360/Bunch of Retro Consoles)
Joystick - Seimitsu LS-32
Buttons - Sanwa OBSF

    Rounding out the last TE that has been customized is this one featuring Mirko from Boku no Hero Academia. Currently the anime isn't up to the part where she is pretty awesome. If you've read the manga then you know what kind of power and guts she has. The PCB this arcade stick is using is an Akishop PS360+ and it's pretty awesome. Sadly this board isn't being made anymore, but if you are able to find one in the aftermarket for a good price (around the $40 range or less) then I definitely recommend picking one up. My only stick that has a Seimitsu joystick. This isn't because I dislike Seimitsu joysticks, it's more of the fact almost all these arcade sticks came with a JLF and I'm pretty cheap so I'd rather just use the JLF than pay $20 for a Seimitsu joystick. I do plan on changing a some things. Still not sure if I want the fat sides or the thin sides and I might attempt to make wooden side panels since I think it'd look pretty cool. Regardless one of my favorites and one that I use pretty often. 

Sachiko Koshimizu JYS Arcade Stick
 
 
Case - JYS Arcade Stick
PCB - Stock Switch
Joystick - Generic joystick
Buttons - Seimitsu PS-14

    Last one to show and it's actually a bit different. This is the JYS arcade stick. A stick that you'd probably see floating around eBay or Aliexpress. Probably one of the better Chinese OEM arcade sticks. I won't talk too much about it since I did a write up and how to mod in the link above. So if you want to learn more then follow that link to the SRK forums. Honestly if you can get one for cheap (like $30-$40) it's a fun portable stick to play around with. You will need to know how to crimp wires if you do want to upgrade the parts. I'm still using the stock joystick since it isn't half bad. Not a JLF, but  pretty usable. Character is Sachiko from the iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls. I find her to be pretty funny and is certainly the cutest idol in the world. 
 
 
    That concludes all the sticks. Hope you enjoyed looking at them and/or reading the excerpts I wrote for each of them. If you didn't then whatever. I still have plenty of other sticks to customize so a part two may come next year, not sure. Although I'll probably fix up the arcade sticks that got messed up due to humidity first. Thanks for reading!

- globe
 




 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment